Conquer Club

Baby Reindeer

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Baby Reindeer

Postby Dukasaur on Wed May 08, 2024 4:12 pm

So, where does everyone stand on the Baby Reindeer controversy. Shameless exploitation or though-provoking drama?

Was enough done to protect the identities of the real people behind the story? Is there a duty to protect them, or not?

https://tvline.com/news/baby-reindeer-real-life-martha-stalker-piers-morgan-interview-1235235978/
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Baby Reindeer

Postby Lonous on Wed May 08, 2024 6:29 pm

Haven't heard a thing about this. At all. To the point that I thought your thread title was actually about baby reindeer.

After spending 60 seconds reading your link, the story feels about as real as the usual offerings of reality TV.
Without knowing anything more about it, any chance that all of this noise they are making is merely their hype machine trying to drum up viewers?
Major Lonous

Postby Pack Rat on Wed May 08, 2024 6:38 pm

I love movies that are dark, but this film was a bit over the top.

There was too much gender bender for me.

You won't be bored watching this disturbing series.
Sergeant 1st Class Pack Rat

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed May 08, 2024 9:02 pm

Lonous wrote:Haven't heard a thing about this. At all. To the point that I thought your thread title was actually about baby reindeer.

After spending 60 seconds reading your link, the story feels about as real as the usual offerings of reality TV.
Without knowing anything more about it, any chance that all of this noise they are making is merely their hype machine trying to drum up viewers?

I noticed it on netflix, but didn't watch and also wasn't aware there was controversy. Will probably save my comments until i get around to watching it, but if they aren't naming RL names in the show it's hard as an american to figure out what the controversy would even be. There are far too many shows with shameless exploitation but make for though-provoking drama.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby Votanic on Thu May 09, 2024 12:15 am

Over-entitled 2-ton psycho-snowflake got her circus-tent-sized panties in a knot because the world has figured out she's an over-entitled 2-ton psycho-snowflake...
If you like, go back to the beginning of the sentence and just keep re-reading it, Mobius-strip style.
Sergeant 1st Class Votanic

Postby Dukasaur on Thu May 09, 2024 4:16 am

mookiemcgee wrote:
Lonous wrote:Haven't heard a thing about this. At all. To the point that I thought your thread title was actually about baby reindeer.

I noticed it on netflix, but didn't watch and also wasn't aware there was controversy. Will probably save my comments until i get around to watching it, but if they aren't naming RL names in the show it's hard as an american to figure out what the controversy would even be. There are far too many shows with shameless exploitation but make for though-provoking drama.

I read the reviews before I started watching it.

Didn't really intend to start watching it, but my wife started watching it, and I had just read a couple reviews so I was curious and I jumped in.

About the not using real names. Generally TV scripts that are "based on a true story" are either about people who died long ago, or if anyone is still alive their character is changed so much that they are unrecognizable.

In this case everyone is still very much alive, and they made no effort to make the characters unrecognizable except for the names.

I don't think they need any help drumming up viewers. It was the most-watched show on netflix for two or three weeks, and it's still in second or third place now that it's past the peak.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,