Conquer Club

The 2024 Elections in the US, mostly for the POTUS

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The 2024 Elections in the US, mostly for the POTUS

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:30 pm

Biden's Student Loan forgive plan is Regressive, as I said earlier:

Forgiving Student Loans Is a Costly Mistake
Analysis by The Editors | Bloomberg
August 25, 2022 at 4:33 p.m. EDT

With Wednesday’s long-awaited announcement forgiving the debts of certain student borrowers, President Joe Biden hopes to give Democrats a boost in this fall’s midterm elections. Whatever the short-term political gains, the decision is a costly mistake — and one that the administration will almost certainly come to regret.

Biden’s plan cancels $10,000 in federal student-loan debt for borrowers with annual incomes of $125,000 or less, or $250,000 for married couples. Students who received Pell Grants, which help low-income families pay for college, will have up to $20,000 forgiven. Biden also extended the freeze on loan repayment for all borrowers through the end of the year — the seventh such extension since the start of the pandemic.

The new policy provides relief to more than 90% of the 45 million Americans carrying federal student-loan debt. The White House estimates that 20 million borrowers would see their ledgers wiped clean altogether. Yet student-loan forgiveness of any kind is highly regressive, benefiting those who graduated college at the expense of the roughly 60% of Americans who didn’t. An analysis released on Tuesday found that roughly 42% of the benefits of student loan forgiveness would go to the wealthiest two-fifths of Americans, with the bottom fifth receiving just 12%.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/forgiving-student-loansis-a-costly-mistake/2022/08/25/a4adf254-2476-11ed-a72f-1e7149072fbc_story.html

ALSO:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/24/biden-student-loan-forgiveness-mistake/
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jimboston on Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:09 am

I suggest we all stop replying here, and see how many times JP4 posts before he stops.

I think he’s fully capable of posting 10 unanswered posts.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:12 pm

Biden's Loan Forgiveness Plan a BAD Idea, says the Washington Editorial Board and others. It is inflationary, as I already argued and they support my conclusion. I think it is a badly disguised attempt to win more VOTES. And a Bad Idea. PERIOD.

Read on, if you dare.

Washington Post Editorial Board Slams Biden on Student Loans
But not only are some Democrats starting to call out the problems here, the Washington Post’s editorial board is as well:

Widely canceling student loan debt is regressive. It takes money from the broader tax base, mostly made up of workers who did not go to college, to subsidize the education debt of people with valuable degrees. Though Mr. Biden’s plan includes an income cap, the threshold does not reflect need or earnings potential, meaning white-collar professionals with high future salaries stand to benefit. . . .

Mr. Biden’s plan is also expensive — and likely inflationary. The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget estimates that extending the loan pause to the end of the year would cost $20 billion, while forgiving $10,000 for households making less than $300,000 would cost $230 billion. Together, these policies would nullify nearly a decade’s worth of deficit reduction from the Inflation Reduction Act. Moreover, it is unclear that the 1965 Higher Education Act even grants the president the legal authority to take such a sweeping step, given that it was historically understood to permit only more targeted relief.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/w ... ent-loans/

also:

Opinion: Catherine Rampell: Want to fix the federal student loan system? Kick out scammy schools.
By CATHERINE RAMPELL | crampell@washpost.com | Washington Post
September 2, 2022 at 6:00 a.m.

In addition to wiping out a lot of existing student debt, President Joe Biden has changed how loans will (or won’t) be paid back going forward. Unfortunately, his changes don’t address the underlying cause of big, unlikely-to-ever-get-repaid student debt balances: the high cost of college, particularly at scammy schools.

Catherine Rampell / Washington Post

In fact, absent some additional safeguards, these changes might encourage more borrowing and higher tuition.

https://www.dailycamera.com/2022/09/02/opinion-catherine-rampell-want-to-fix-the-federal-student-loan-system-kick-out-scammy-schools/

and:

WaPo's Catherine Rampell says Biden’s student loan handout plan is ‘not the best use of taxpayer dollars’

Washington Post opinion columnist Catherine Rampell explained Wednesday that President Biden’s newly announced $300 billion student loan debt handout may be economically unwise.

The White House announced Wednesday that Biden will cancel $10,000 in loans (up to $20,000 for Pell Grant recipients) for those making under $125,000 a year. The nation's federal student debt now tops $1.6 trillion with the national debt at $30.7 trillion.

CNN Newsroom host Jim Sciutto inquired of Rampell whether Biden’s student loan handout is "good economic policy."

Rampell, suggested that "from an equity and an inflationary standpoint it’s not the best use of taxpayer dollars here."

Rampell elaborated on how this student loan handout is misguided.

"There are a lot of people who will benefit who appear to have relatively low or moderate incomes today, but will have very high expected future earnings," she explained. "Going to college is generally considered an investment. If you are someone like a medical resident, for example, you will benefit from this, because your income is moderate today, but your future earnings are very high."

The writer said help for those who are truly suffering from student debt could be handled with better precision.

"So I think there are better ways to target the people who are actually suffering from student loan burdens who are less likely to ever be able to pay off their debts, you know, maybe because they never actually achieved a degree or they got a degree that was ultimately worthless," she noted. "There are more targeted ways to do this that Biden has also pursued, something more broad-based. I think [this plan's] going to cost a lot of money and may end up going to a lot of people who don’t really need the help."
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:09 pm

This argument is about regressiveness is braindead. It goes as follows:
any college debt forgiveness is regressive because the poorest people don't go to college.

You first article says exactly what i wrote earlier. inflation reduction act + debt forgiveness executive action = Netural on spending aka no new spending in the budget.

The second quote basically says what we've all already said here... it doesn't address fundamental structural problems with Fed underwritting high risk loans. but you are also already calling this action gross overreach, would you like it better if he restructure all student debt without congressional approval?

The third quote is someone arguing that MORE FORGIVENESS SHOULD GO TO THE LEAST RESPONSIBLE BORROWERS. Is that what you want JP? All the 300b goes to people with 250k debt for useless art degrees because 'they are the least likely to pay it back'??? in her opinion... the people who need help are (and I quote) "people who are actually suffering from student loan burdens who are less likely to ever be able to pay off their debts, you know, maybe because they never actually achieved a degree or they got a degree that was ultimately worthless" You really think that is a 'better use' of funds JP???? only forgive those who borrowed money and then flunked out or got useless degrees?

On balance this executive action is as progressive as something targeting ONLY student loan debt forgiveness can be. Sure there are other ways to spend money that are MORE progressive like canceling all income tax if you make minimum wage, but for loan forgiveness I challenge anyone here to come up with a more progressive and fair (not a bailout solely for deadbeats) way of doing it.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:29 am

The sum of all my cited articles is that the Biden action (to forgive some student loans) is wasteful, inflationary, and irresponsible. That was my opinion at the very start when I heard about Biden's plan. And I have found several Washington Posts editorialists to support my point after I made them. The more I read, from normally Liberal writers in the Washington Post who usually support Democrats consistently, the more I see my points are valid.

I have not brought up the fact (until NOW) that this is very likely an overreach of executive action and possibly ILLEGAL, too.

Your post is answered.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:22 am

DOJ to Appeal Judge’s Order Appointing Special Master in Trump Mar-a-Lago Probe

Prosecutors also ask judge to put on hold part of order blocking government from using seized materials in criminal investigation into alleged mishandling of classified documents

https://www.wsj.com/articles/justice-department-to-appeal-judge-s-order-appointing-special-master-in-trump-mar-a-lago-probe-11662667299

Legal implications of decision to appoint special master to review Trump documents

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/legal-implications-of-decision-to-appoint-special-master-to-review-trump-documents

Former President Trump scored a legal victory when a federal judge announced she would appoint an outside legal expert to review files seized by law enforcement from Mar-a-Lago. John Yang discussed the legal implications of the decision with Barbara McQuade, a professor at the University of Michigan Law School and a former federal prosecutor.

Judy, in addition to screening for documents protected by attorney-client privilege, Judge Aileen Cannon took the unusual step of ordering the outside expert to see if any of the materials are protected by former Trump's executive privilege.

Barbara McQuade is a professor at the University of Michigan Law School and a former federal prosecutor.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby HitRed on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:09 pm

September 13, 22 Home

I quake at the sight; my mighty nation has fallen into ruin. The collapse of this nation* under the current administration has caused the weakening of the world and the onslaught of evil into the world. I beg my children to pray for the upcoming elections. Pray for the right people to be put into office by the people of this nation, not those who seek power and control for evil’s ways. Go therefore and know who you put in office, vote for this country and its people not for some hidden agenda. Seek my ways and not man’s ways says the Lord God.

Go.

* U.S.A.
Last edited by HitRed on Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain HitRed

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:17 pm

lol the right people... like Dr Oz and Marjorie Taylor Green? That's who god wants in office?

A snake oil salesman millionaire from a Muslim country and a white nationalist who claims every opponent is a pedo trying to groom people kids.

If that's Gods plan to save America, I might have to take a serious look at becoming Hindu.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:39 pm

If you must foist your hallucinations on us, HR, keep them in the multiple threads you've opened in Street Corner.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby jimboston on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:51 am

HitRed wrote:
September 13, 22 Home

I quake at the sight; my mighty nation has fallen into ruin. The collapse of this nation* under the current administration has caused the weakening of the world and the onslaught of evil into the world. I beg my children to pray for the upcoming elections. Pray for the right people to be put into office by the people of this nation, not those who seek power and control for evil’s ways. Go therefore and know who you put in office, vote for this country and its people not for some hidden agenda. Seek my ways and not man’s ways says the Lord God.

Go.

* U.S.A.

Is this a Bible verse or just some preacher’s speech?
If you’re gonna quote the Bible… please provide us with the chapter and verse so we can read the whole section.

Also… assuming it’s a Bible Verse…

1) How do you know “this country” refer to the United States? Could this not equally refer to any one of hundreds of countries currently in existence?

2) How do you know this is referring to this period in time? Could it not equally refer to any time future or past?

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:53 am

It's the voices in his head. Again.

Postby Doc_Brown on Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:19 pm

It's not a Bible verse. There is no mention of voting or democracy in the Bible.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:20 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:It's not a Bible verse. There is no mention of voting or democracy in the Bible.

You are correct in that this is not a Bible verse.
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:06 pm

You are all wrong!

It's from the Newest-New testament. The gospel according to Hitred. I think the mormons have already adopted it as part of their canon.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:09 pm

I believe it's commonly known as the 'Bannon Canon'.

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:22 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:I believe it's commonly known as the 'Bannon Canon'.

It this the same as the
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture (Full with Cannons)??

btw: The first cannon shot is about 14:10, near the end of this segment.

The Year 1812, Solemn Overture, Op. 49, popularly known as the 1812 Overture,[1] is a concert overture in E♭ major written in 1880 by Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky to commemorate the successful Russian defense against Napoleon I's invading Grande Armée in 1812.

The overture debuted in Moscow on 20 August [O.S. 8 August] 1882,[2] conducted by Ippolit Al'tani under a tent near the then-almost-finished Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, which also memorialised the 1812 defense of Russia.[3]

The fifteen-minute overture is best known for its climactic volley of cannon fire, ringing chimes, and a brass fanfare finale. It has also become a common accompaniment to fireworks displays on the United States' Independence Day.[4] The 1812 Overture went on to become one of Tchaikovsky's most popular works, along with his ballet scores to The Nutcracker, The Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake.[5]

It is really GOOD, especially with real Cannon Fire..! LOVE IT..!
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:07 pm

To follow up on this discussion, that Mookie already posted to:

Biden's student debt relief plan is temporarily blocked. Here's what you need to know.
October 22, 2022

A federal appeals court has temporarily blocked President Biden's student loan forgiveness plan — halting any debt from being erased. But the administration is encouraging people to continue submitting their applications.

The Friday evening ruling comes less than a week since the application portal went live. Already, nearly 22 million people — more than half of qualifying borrowers — have signed up. The administration could have begun processing applications and changing loan balances beginning Sunday.

"The order does not reverse the trial court's dismissal of the case, or suggest that the case has merit," White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said in a statement Friday evening. "It merely prevents debt from being discharged until the court makes a decision."

The block was issued by the U.S. Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, which is considering a motion from six Republican-led states to stop the program. It's one of several lawsuits that have aimed to challenge the program.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/22/1130735004/student-loan-debt-relief-blocked-biden-court

Lawsuits Threaten Biden’s Debt-Relief Plan
The Biden administration is contending with four lawsuits while preparing for the rollout of its ambitious debt-relief program.

Katherine Knott
October 6, 2022

A flurry of lawsuits threaten the Biden administration’s plans to forgive up to $20,000 in federal student loans for eligible Americans.

Four lawsuits seeking to block the student loan forgiveness plan have been filed in the last week, but more are expected. This first group highlights the challenges facing plaintiffs—all make similar arguments as to why the plan is unlawful, but the lawsuits are taking different approaches to prove the plaintiffs have been or will be harmed by debt relief and thus have legal standing to sue.

There’s a borrower who said he would face a tax penalty under the plan. In one suit, six states, including Missouri, are alleging financial harm to state agencies. The Arizona attorney general took a broader approach, arguing in his lawsuit that student debt relief would harm the state’s economy by reducing taxes collected and increasing inflation. Most recently, a group of taxpayers in Wisconsin filed suit, saying the plan would result in higher taxes and a less prosperous country.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2022/10/06/lawsuits-pile-against-bidens-debt-relief-plan
JP4Fun

Lieutenant jusplay4fun

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:27 pm

The highlight of an odd interview on MSNBC was when Old Joe's brain appeared to reboot mid-sentence. The interviewer appears to thought he had fallen asleep during the interview and said "Mr. President? Uh oh!" and started to reach over to shake him awake, at which point Joe's brain finished its reboot cycle and his mouth started making startup sounds: "uh uh uh ... um ... um ... Dr. Biden ... uhhh ... very important."

https://twitter.com/MonicaCrowley/statu ... -interview

Meanwhile, foreign leaders continue to mercilessly make fun of the United States, mocking Old Joe behind closed doors.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the kingdom’s 37-year-old day-to-day ruler, mocks President Biden in private, making fun of the 79-year-old’s gaffes and questioning his mental acuity, according to people inside the Saudi government. He has told advisers he hasn’t been impressed with Mr. Biden since his days as vice president, and much preferred former President Donald Trump, the people said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-saudi- ... 1666623661
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Doc_Brown on Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:11 am

I never really bought into the whole "Sleepy Joe" narrative, but...
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby HitRed on Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:19 pm

Do not vote Democrat it would be a mortal sin to vote for this party. They do not support life in any form. They are self-love and not about me the creator of life itself. Their ways are not my ways, says the Lord of Hosts. - God
Captain HitRed

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:09 pm

I won't judge you based on how you vote, I'm more 'big picture' than that. Don't fall for charlatans - GOD
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:40 pm

NO MERCY! IMPEACH JOE BIDEN AND BURN THIS WHOLE THING TO THE GROUND!

Of the 185 Republican candidates running for House, Senate and governor’s seats who have denied the legitimacy of the 2020 election, 124 — or 67 percent — are in races our forecast currently pins at “Solid R,” meaning they have a 95-in-100 or better chance of winning.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mo ... -november/
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby jimboston on Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:19 pm

HitRed wrote:
Do not vote Democrat it would be a mortal sin to vote for this party. They do not support life in any form. They are self-love and not about me the creator of life itself. Their ways are not my ways, says the Lord of Hosts. - God

God’s officially endorsed the Republican Party?

Wow, good to know.

Can I find His position statement on His website or are there a videos of His verbal endorsement?

It’d be good to know what pushed him over the edge towards that side…I mean both parties have some claim to Christian Views, it’s just how He measures the relative value of those conflicting positions that I’d find interesting.

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:36 pm

jimboston wrote:God’s officially endorsed the Republican Party?

God did post that, but he was just joking. that's why he posted a follow up taking it back shortly afterwards.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jimboston on Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:50 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
jimboston wrote:God’s officially endorsed the Republican Party?

God did post that, but he was just joking. that's why he posted a follow up taking it back shortly afterwards.

He’s so Zany! What a jokester!

I heard he did the same thing 1095 when he had the Pope call for Christians everywhere to aid in freeing Jerusalem from the Muslims.

Unfortunately when he called back to say he was joking they’d already left.

Word traveled slowly back then. :(

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,